No one likes getting their wisdom teeth taken out. It’s often thought of as one of the most unpleasant procedures that most of us have to endure. However, it’s necessary for the majority of people. It can prevent severe pain and infections from developing. Although no one looks forward to wisdom teeth extractions in Marble, summer might be the perfect time to get it over with. Let’s talk about the reasons why summer is the best time for wisdom teeth removal.
What Are Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom teeth, also referred to as third molars, are teeth that appear at the back of the mouth behind the rest of your molars. There is usually one on both sides of your upper and lower jaw. Some people experience no problems with their wisdom teeth, but in others, they can cause discomfort, pain, or even infection.
Why Do Wisdom Teeth Need to Be Extracted?
Most people simply do not have enough room for wisdom teeth. They can start pushing on other teeth to make room, which can jeopardize orthodontic treatment and cause pain and overcrowding. Sometimes the teeth do not fully erupt and become impacted, or trapped, inside the gums. This can create a pathway for bacteria to grow and cause tooth decay and gum disease. Your dentist in Marble recommends you get your wisdom teeth evaluated when you are in your late teens or early twenties to determine whether they will need to be removed.
Why Is Summer the Best Time to Get Wisdom Teeth Extractions?
There are many reasons why summer is a great time to get your wisdom teeth removed, such as:
- If you’re a student, you won’t have to miss any class.
- Sitting outside and getting fresh air can help speed up the healing process.
- A lot of great movies come out during the summer. Going out to see them can provide a fun distraction from the pain in the days following the procedure.
- Friends and family typically spend more time together in the warmer months. Hanging around people you love can make the days of healing go by faster.
- Warm weather has been proven to have a positive effect on people’s moods. If the pain and soreness after your surgery has got you feeling down, simply take a walk outside and instantly feel more at peace.
There’s no wrong time to get your wisdom teeth removed, but summer is clearly the right time. Contact your dentist in Marble today to learn whether you need yours extracted.
About the Author
Dr. Greg Ritchie completed his doctorate at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. He has been practicing dentistry for more than 18 years, and is a member of both the American and Texas Dental Associations. For the past two years, he has been awarded the title of “Super Dentist” by Texas Monthly. To learn more about how he can evaluate and potentially remove your wisdom teeth, visit his website or call (830)-693-8833.